Monday, June 16, 2008

Savannah's Race

Saturday Scott and I participated in a fundraiser for Down Syndrome called "Savannah's Race", similar to the "Amazing Race."



Savannah Pachl in our ward was born in November 2007 with Down Syndrome. "Savannah's Race" was formed to raise awareness of Down Syndrome and raise funds for the Mile High Down Syndrome association.



















We were "Team Dynamite," the Yellow team. Our cameraman was John Sorenson, a friend in the ward.



The race started at 8:00 am Saturday, and we were sent to different locations around Denver where we had to complete various tasks.



Our tasks were:

  • Finding a marked car in the Denver Airport parking lot (there were thousands of cars!)
  • At the Bronco's stadium, finding a clue under a seat in the Bronco's mane
  • Painting a plate at a ceramics store for auction
  • Arresting, handcuffing, fingerprinting, and booking Scott at the Sheriff's office
  • Eating an entire big sandwich
  • Shooting 5 clay pigeons each
  • Hurdles, shotput, and discus at Strasburg High
  • Searching for letters at the bottom of a swimming pool and then doing word puzzles

All of this took about 7 hours and we put 200 miles on the car!


Me shooting a shotgun- Look out!!

Only in Strasburg...














Scott after I arrested him













We came in 8th out of 9 teams! Losers! At least we had a fun day.











"Chancho! When you are a grown man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room- it's for fun."

This is Nacho Libre, or Eric Martin, a friend in the ward. He and his wife won the race.








The website is www.savannahsrace.org if you'd like to see more pictures of the race. $12,200 was raised in behalf of Savannah.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun Jenny. I am so glad you started a blog. I think about you all the time and know I get to know what you are up to. I am excited to see more posts!

Carrie and Tyson said...

That is AWESOME! Nacho Libre was pretty sweet too. :-)

Jen said...

Hey! Welcome to the world of blogging. That race sounds really cool! I'll definitely be checking in from time to time. Check out our blog at www.jenandtravis.blogspot.com

Carrie said...

Yeah! Glad another Melville is blogging. That race was a fun idea, some of those things are so Strasburg.

Sheila said...

Sounds fun. It's good to hear what's going on with you. It's been such a long time since I've seen you.